Sunday, December 15, 2013

Blog Post #1 – Nilson: Four Square

Through this class I was introduced to Four Square.  This application is for smart phones and uses GPS technology.  Users ‘check-in’ at locations that they visit and can connect with friends. In addition, when users check into the various locations that they visit they are awarded points.  Users who check in the most at any given location can become the “Mayor” of that location.  Badges can also be awarded by checking into various locations.  I received my “Newbie” badge after I registered.  A nice feature that Four Square incorporated was the ‘Profile & History’ page which allows you to view past check-ins by category.

Personally, I had a hard time remembering to check into the various locations that I visited.  I would usually remember to check-in after I left. When I did use the check-in, I had the option of adding a photo along a review of that location.  One of the best features that I liked about Four Square is ‘browse nearby’.  This feature helps you find places to eat, get coffee, or my favorite – where to shop.  There is also a ‘special’ tab which lists nearby businesses that will give you a deal when you check in at that location.  Today Target is offering a check-in special of 50% off holiday string lights! 

All in all, this is a social networking device that I need to get used to but that I will use.  Four Square is a great way to decide where to go next.  Businesses that register with Four Square can reach millions of new customers. Similarly, it is a great way for self-promotion.  Businesses have used Four Square to offer discounts or even free drinks to users who become “Mayor” of their location or who are the first to check-in on a given date.  In short, it doesn’t matter if you are a mom & pop business or big box store; Four Square is a great way to generate business! As a user, this is a great app to connect with businesses that you were unfamiliar with or to show your loyalty to your favorite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment