Thursday, December 19, 2013

OREO!

Oreo has been really stellar at using social media to reach their consumers. Their campaigns are thoughtful, timely, and spot on. When the power went out at the Superdome during the Super Bowl, Oreo had a new Twitter campaign launched within minutes. "You can still dunk in the dark" they tweeted with a picture of an Oreo cookie in a dark room. Whenever there's a momentary lull in action, regardless of the situation, most people with a smart phone kill time with social media apps. So this post was pretty genius, and got the attention of other major media publications and of course, anyone that followed them at the time... and probably anyone that followed their followers! I didn't have a Twitter presence at the time, but just reading about it made me want to eat an Oreo or two (or row). Mmmmmmmmmmmm Double Stuff.

Another thing that caught my eye was their Oreo-A-Day campaign:



For over three months, Oreo tweeted pictures like these commemorating significant events for those dates with pictures of their cookies taking different forms. I loved this because the pictures were thoughtful and adorable, and show their followers things that matter to them, or rather more simply, things that matter (period) like equality, science, the environment, and (duh) pop culture icons! ;)

I have always liked to eat Oreo cookies (even though I have to limit myself now that I'm not 12 anymore) but I appreciate them more for their creativity and community involvement, not matter how small. They don't have to post about things like "Pride." It's kind of a risky topic because of how vastly different the views are about the subject. But for me, it's an important one and the way it is handled by businesses (regardless of the viewpoint) influences my feelings about that business. Waytago Oreo!





Cite:
http://www.shopify.com/blog/7589919-the-secret-behind-oreos-social-media-marketing#axzz2nw1UhSED

No comments:

Post a Comment