Thursday, December 19, 2013

Heineken #Openyourworld

For my second blog post I was asked to write about a particular company and how they are using social media for marketing. The first thought that came to mind was one of my favorite companies and most often my drink of choice, Jim Beam. I already follow Jim Beam (Beam Global) on various social media sites but more so to follow their growth, so I logged in to Facebook to look at what they are doing from a marketing perspective. At first glance it seemed nice enough with updates every few days and plenty of pictures of their products but then I realized that's all it was. There are only pictures of their products and they all look like magazine adds. Nothing about their posts were engaging or made me want to participate in the conversation.

So I began to look at other companies and decided that I should limit my search to adult beverage companies so that there would be a somewhat level playing field since these companies can't really market to people under 21 (in the us) and there are certain legal responsibilities and restrictions. I looked at the Facebook sites and websites of companies whom I remembered their many vibrant magazine adds and commercials like Absolut, Corona, Grey Goose and Jack Daniels. While most of these companies did a better job than Jim Beam, I was astounded that these companies who spend millions of dollars of top notch brand recognition have missed the mark so drastically on social media. Then I remembered a Heineken commercial I often see while watching football. You know the one where the guy is on a date with a beautiful woman, there is great lively music and tons of eclectic people like magicians and over the top personalities and the whole place is an amazing party. The commercial itself reminded me of the bold adds of the other companies but since I hadn't seen it in a while I went to their website and facebook page to check it out. What I found blew me away.

Although the Facebook cover photo and profile pic look just as mediocre as the all of the other companies that's were the similarities stopped. Heineken's Facebook page has very little actual Heineken branding and you rarely see their product in posts. Even when they do showcase their product it doesn't come off as boring and "cookie cutter" as the other companies I researched. Instead what you encounter is a very fun and engaging environment. Heineken posts twice a day under the hash tag #openyourworld. each article is about all sorts of ecletcic and fascinating, some times funny, things from all over the world. One article is about  bitcoins and how you may soon be able to buy beer thru virtual currency, another is about some of the strangest hotels to sleep in in the world, another is about a real cool company that can make exact replica miniature figurines of people with just a picture. Everything on their page is inviting and engaging. I was also amazed at their transparency, openess and willingness to address an unfortunate incident that caused them some negative press. They responded to every post and question regarding the incident, even when they were asked months later by someone who hadn't already read their numerous responses.

I love what Heineken is doing and how they are doing it and I believe that more adult beverage companies, no actually ALL companies should look at what they are doing and take note. Although I like Heineken's product and voluntarily imbibe in it every now and again I have never been a "fan" of theirs. I certainly would not put their beer at the top of my list in fact not even in my top ten but after discovering their page I am now following them on Facebook and go to their page frequently to read the stories. I would also recommend their page to everyone of my friends and consequently I now have an urge to try their beer again tonight. I may do it just to support the amazing job they are doing but who knows, maybe I'll start drinking it a little more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment